Thinking of going to live in residence, but not sure what to expect? Let us give you a picture of the different choices available to you. You know, retirement homes have evolved a lot in the last few years. It is no longer a matter of "houses of old" intended for people with loss of autonomy. In 2017, we speak of institutions for pre-retired and retired people, no sad homes and even fewer hospices!
Too early to think?
It's never too early to evaluate your retirement accommodation options. The more you give yourself time, the more choices you have. Some are waiting for disease or bereavement to strike ... However, in these situations, people often have to act precipitously, which hampers decision-making and limits opportunities. It is important to study your options in a serene climate.
It may be worthwhile for you and your spouse to live in a residence even if you are still fully self-sufficient. Indeed, this way of life can bring you several advantages while freeing you from certain tasks, such as the interior and exterior maintenance of your home. For a single person, this can be a great way to break the isolation.
Assessing your needs for a good home
With the multitude of residences for the elderly available in Quebec, you will have to proceed by elimination according to certain criteria:
- The type of dwelling. Some accommodation complexes have hundreds of units, while others have only a few dozen. What kind of residence attracts you most? And what level of luxury are you looking for?
- The size and number of pieces. From studio to multi-bedroom apartment, you will have to choose the dimension of your living space. It is important to have enough space to store the furniture and objects you want to keep. Do you need a guest room to receive relatives?
- The Localisation. Do you like quiet or lively places? Would you like to live close to a shopping center, park, church or public transport? In addition to considering the attractions of the neighborhood, validate if the corner is suitable for your lifestyle.
- The services offered. It is obviously not possible to list exhaustively the different services available in the residences. Here is an overview of what might be offered:
- Presence of medical personnel (nurse, doctor)
- Camera Surveillance
- Parking space
- Catering, meal preparation
- Cinema, theater and themed evenings
- Library, billiard room and card room
- Convenience store, hairdresser
- Post office, bank and pharmacy
- Spa, exercise room and swimming pool
- Washing room
- Shuttle service, escort
At the end of the day, it is the size of your budget that will make a list of seniors' residences that provide the services you need. These are the ones you will visit next.
In closing, here are four good tips from our team:
- Think about your long-term needs, not just what you need at the moment;
- Check what is included in the monthly rental price. Some pay-per-view services have significantly increased the amount of rent;
- Try to discern what is necessary from what is superfluous. The services offered are often enticing, but they really need to help you justify their costs. For example, will you use the pool often enough to make it an important choice criterion?
- A resident is the person best placed to tell you about his / her experience. Check out the comments of the people who lived in the residences that interest you. These testimonials are a reliable source of information that will help you make an informed choice.
You have to expect a period of adjustment when you choose to live in a residence. However, once the right place is selected, there is no doubt that you will have a great time!